Bicycle Helmet Program
BRIDGES uses corporate sponsorships and proceeds from the Northern Kentucky Traumatic Brain Injury Conference and the Bernard Family Golf Outing to fund its Bicycle Helmet Program. The purpose of the event is to promote brain injury awareness, safety and prevention. Appropriately fitted, safety approved bicycle helmets are provided to children and adults.Click here if interested in becoming a CORPORATE SPONSOR.
BRIDGES Giveaways (3,500 helmets distributed from 2010-Present):2010
- June 2010 – First Bicycle Helmet Giveaway with City of Covington, Kentucky at Goebel Park.
- May 2011 – Bicycle Helmet Giveaway with City of Covington, Kentucky at the Bill Cappel Youth Sports Complex in Latonia. Former City of Covington Mayor Denny Bowman issued a Helmet Safety Proclamation.
- September 2011 – Health Fair with City of Covington, Kentucky
- May 2012 – Bicycle Helmet Giveaway with City of Florence, Kentucky and Wal-Mart (Houston Road). Click here for the City of Florence Helmet Proclamation issued by Mayor Diane Ewing.
- July 2012 – Helmet giveaway to golfers at the Kimberly Bernard Golf Outing held at the Kenton County Golf Course. BRIDGES members also worked at the golf outing. Proceeds benefited the Brain Injury Alliance of Kentucky (BIAK) and BRIDGES, Inc.
- August 2012 – BRIDGES donated bicycle helmets to My Nose Turns Red for their unicycle riding program. Two of the unicylists performed in the parking lot at a BRIDGES monthly meeting location.
- May 2013 – Bicycle Helmet Giveaway at Freedom Ballpark in conjunction with ballgame. 500 helmets distributed.
- August 2013 – Helmet giveaway to golfers at the Kimberly Bernard Golf Outing held at the Kenton County Golf Course. BRIDGES members also worked at the golf outing. Proceeds benefited the Brain Injury Alliance of Kentucky (BIAK) and BRIDGES, Inc.
- August 2013 – BRIDGES donated 12 helmets to be raffled at Yealey Elementary’s (Florence, KY) Back to School Fair.
- August 2013 – Bicycle Helmet Giveaway at Freedom Ballpark in conjunction with ballgame. 618 helmets distributed.
- September 2013 – BRIDGES fitted and gave away 67 helmets to foster children and parents, including children in the resident program, at the Diocesan Children’s Home (Ft. Mitchell, KY).
- January 2014 – Returned to Diocesan Children’s Home and distributed 26 helmets.
- January 2014 – Boy Scout Troup 820 – 11 helmets (Lakeside Park, KY).
- May 2014 – Florence Freedom Ballpark – 6:05 pm, Sponsored by Braden Humfleet & Devine, PLC
- May 2014 – Health Week Walk-a-thon, New Richmond Elementary School (OH) – 35 helmets to grades K-6
- June 2014 – Roebling Fest, Covington KY – 12-3 pm, 395 helmets
- June 2014 – Bike Rodeo at Independence Branch Library 11 am – 1 pm, Sponsored by Kenton County Parks, Kenton County Library & Independence Police, 111 helmets
- July 2014 – City of Ft. Thomas Fire Department, Ft. Thomas KY – 12-2 pm; Click here to read about the event, 175 helmets
- September 2014 – DCCH Center for Children and Families Fall Harvest Party, Ft. Mitchell KY, 6-8 pm, 55 helmets
- October 2014 – Health Fair, Community Service of Northern Kentucky, 31 Spiral Drive, Florence KY – 11-2 pm
- May 16 – 2nd Annual Casen Shrock 5K Walk/Run – Registration 8-9:30 am; Official Start 9:45 am, Northern Kentucky University Student Union; Free Event Parking – Lot G; helmets to be fitted and distributed; Click here to read about the 2014 Shrock 5K Walk/Run
- May 23 – Kenton County Public Library – 2-3 pm, 502 Scott Blvd, Covington, KY plus all day workshops to celebrate May as Bike Month.
- June 6 – Bike Rodeo – 10 am – Noon, Middleton-Mills Park, 3415 Mills Road, Covington KY, Sponsored by Kenton County Parks, Kenton County Library and Independence Police
- June 14 – BRIDGES & Brain Injury Alliance of Kentucky (BIAK); Florence Freedom Ballpark– Also NKY Baseball League Day – 6:05 pm, Booth Space Sponsored by Braden Humfleet & Devine, PLC
- July 4 – City of Ft. Thomas Fire Department, Ft. Thomas KY – 100 FREE bicycle helmets distributed from 10-12 am; Click here for news article about this event.
- July 12 – Covington Bike-Centennial Ride, start at RiverCenter Drive at Scott Blvd, Covington KY; 100 FREE bicycle helmets distributed from 8-11 am. Ride has three options: 10 mile, 5 mile and 2 mile. The 10-mile ride leaves at 9:10, 9:20 and 9:30. The 5-mile ride leaves at 9:40. The 2-mile ride leaves at 9:50. CANCELED DUE TO RAIN – RESCHEDULED TO AUGUST 8
- July 16 – Circus at Erlanger Railroad Depot Park; 6-8 pm
- July 22 – Bike Rodeo, 6-8 pm, Christ’s Chapel Assembly of God, 3819 Turfway Rd, Erlanger, KY
- August 4 – Villa Hills Police Bike Rodeo; 6-8 pm; Villa Madonna Academy Soccer Field; Amsterdam Road, Villa Hills KY
- August 8 – Covington Bike-Centennial Ride (see July 12 above for info)
- August 14 – Florence Freedom Ballpark – Also Superhero Night – 7:05 pm, Booth Space Sponsored by Braden Humfleet & Devine, PLC
- October 10 – NAMI Steps Against Stigma Walk, 11 am; Pioneer Park, 3951 Madison Pike, Covington, KY; Click here to register at 10 AM;; Bridges will be onsite with FREE bike
April 20 @ 2-4 PM – Whites Tower Elementary School – Bike Rodeo “Pedal to Proficiency and Beyond,” Whites Tower/Kenton Co. Fairgrounds, 2900 Wehrman Rd, Independence KY
- May 15 @ 2-5 PM – Butler Baptist Church, 113 Peoples Street, Butler, KY
- May 21 @ 8:30 AM – 3rd Annual Casen Shrock 5K Fun Walk/Run Event, Northern Kentucky University, Albright Health Center: http://casenstbi.net/index.html (Registration @ 8-9 AM; Walk @ 9:15 AM)
- June 4 @ 9-12 PM – Kids Fishing Derby, Middleton-Mills Park, 3415 Mills Rd, Covington KY (sponsored by Kenton Co. Parks & Recreation).
- July 7 @ 6-8 PM – Circus at Erlanger Railroad Depot Park, Erlanger KY
- August 3 @ 5:30-8 PM; 2nd Annual Safety Night, Villa Hills Police Bike Rodeo, Villa Madonna Academy Soccer Field, Amsterdam Road, Villa Hills KY
- August 4 @ 4-6 PM – Ready Fest Event (back-to-school), Southern Elementary School, 320 Fairgrounds Rd, Falmouth, KY
- August 26 @ 6-8 pm – Community Block Party (in front of Lloyd and Tichenor – 300 block of Bartlett Ave, Erlanger, KY
- September 24 @ 9-12 PM – Health Fair by LiveWell Fort Mitchell, Diocesan Catholic Children’s Home Fairgrounds, 75 Orphanage Rd, Ft. Mitchell, KY
- October 1 @ 11 AM – 2nd Annual DevouGrass Kids Run & Ride, Devou Park Band Shell, Covington, KY
- October 8 @ 10-1 PM – NAMI Steps Against Stigma 6th Annual Walk, Pioneer Park, 3951 Madison Pike, Covington (Registration @ 10 AM; Walk @ 11 AM; Free Picnic @ 12 PM); Click here to register
If your organization, school or city would like to partner with BRIDGES
in their helmet program, please contact Bob Stark
at (859) 292-2177 or email: email@example.com
Individuals desiring a fitted helmet are also encouraged
to contact Bob for a FREE helmet.
Be safe, look ahead…
Keep your helmet on your head!
Click here for more information about appropriate use of helmets from the
U.S. Commissioner Product
Click here for Bicycle Safety Rules and Rules of the Road
Click here for Helmet Skate
Rules Fact SheetClick here for Helmet Skateboard
Rules Fact SheetClick here for Sled Safe Jo’s Way Brochure
Click here for
Coloring & Activity Book
Click here for Helmet Safety Word Find
The Bernard Family for
Brain Research & Rehabilitation, Inc.
Their generous donation from their
annual golf outing fundraiser
(held on last Saturday in July at the
Kenton County Golf Course, KY)
is used to purchase bicycle helmets
For donating bags to hold helmets
and safety materials
distributed at helmet giveaway events